Monday, January 5, 2015
Why buy a catalytic wood burning stove?
An EPA Phase II
catalytic wood burning stove delivers 72% or better heating efficiency.
This means that 72% of the energy available in wood is delivered into the
surrounding living area.
In addition to the 72% heating efficiency, the catalytic wood burning
stoves of today:
1. Reduce air pollution by up to 90%.
2. Reduce creosote build-up. (Up to 90% reduction)
3. Generate up to 50% more useful heat from each log.
4. Generate longer burns per load.
5. Saves the consumer up to 1/3 on fuel cost. (One less cord out of every 3)
EPA Stove Phases defined:
Pre-Phase I stoves…These stoves could not be manufactured
after June 30, 1988.
However, stoves could be sold at retail level for two more years.
Phase I program…. went into effect on July 1, 1988 and was effective through
June 30, 1990.
Manufacturers could not build stoves after this dead-line.
Again, these stoves could be sold at retail level for two more years.
Phase II program… went into effect on July 1, 1990 and is effective still
Manufacturers must re-certified all models every 5 years under the Phase II